Are You a Carer?
Do you look after someone who depends on you because of an illness or disability?
If you provide help and support to a partner, relative, child, friend or neighbour who could not manage without your help due to physical or mental illness, disability, frailty or addiction, then you are one of thousands of unpaid carers in Bristol.
If you are a carer it is important to look after your own health as well as the person you care for.
Here at Charlotte Keel Medical Practice we want to be able to do all we can to help you to stay as healthy and informed as possible, so you can carry on caring for as long as you want to. Please register with us; this enables us to provide you with the following benefits:
- Free ‘flu’ vaccinations each autumn
- Sharing information with you about the person you care for if she/he consents to this, which will make communication easier
- More flexible appointments depending on your needs as a carer
To register as a carer with us please complete the online form below or ask for a carers identification form from reception or speak to your doctor / nurse.
Local Support Services
You can also access a wide range of information and support from our local carers support organisation Carers Support Centre or contact CarersLine on 0117 965 22 00. They can help you with:
- One-to-one support
- Activity groupswith other people going through similar issues
- Carers support groups
- Hospital supportto help carers in a hospital setting, particularly around the discharge process
- Training and workshopsto help you manage on a day to day basis
- Carers assessmentsto help you to get the support you need to be a carer
- Employment supportto help you to get back into work or to stay in employment
- Help applying for relevant benefits
- Carers emergency cardwhich will ensure that the person you care for is supported in the event of you being taken seriously ill.
They have specific workers for parent carers, young carers and for carers who support an adult with a learning difficulty.